Went to Glasgow with Alan over Easter weekend. Absolutely wonderful! Perhaps the weather helped: sun, clouds, deep blue skies. There was even a long lull in the breeze on Sunday. A glorious Easter, indeed. I'll bet God did that on purpose!
Well, all that in addition to being away from Dublin, away from DCU, away from an insular, self-obsessed culture.
Maybe I should have gone to Scotland, maybe I should have gone to London. I just love, love, LOVE the United Kingdom. And Europe, but the UK is definitely close to my heart for some reason. Speaking English is probably a huge reason, but I am so in love with the atmosphere of a western world with such rich history.
Granted, I did not stay very long and probably would have found the Scottish just like the Irish in their British-hating ways (you just can't ignore the "Proud to be Scottish" signs everywhere), Glasgow was just a more exciting, more buzzing city. The buildings were beautiful, as were the streets. Dublin doesn't have the same type of overall architecture; it looks confused, trying to preserve the old while simultaneously affronting a "modern" city.
And I guess that's the impression I get overall of Ireland. There's some insane fascination with America and its culture, which basically sprouted from the British heritage and culture. Yet Ireland has an obstinate cling to its Celtic roots, which, in all truth, has become "backward" in this rapidly westernizing planet.
So, which is it, Ireland?
I'll make my own bold statement. As much as I love the Western culture, I acknowledge the tragic inevitably of lost diversity. We see that in the growing rate at which foreign countries are providing English lessons. The only resistant language, I think, is Chinese because of China's position in the world. But even the Chinese are learning English, and they recognized the necessity of remaining on friendly terms with the ol' Western powers.
But what do I know of politics, history, and international relations? I cannot provide any real statistics or pinpoint exact, accurate moments in history - my memory and knowledge is too limited. I simply offer my opinion on what I see in everything I'm learning in academia and everyday society.
And now, I want to completely refute what I just wrote.
Because the Internet is the next monopolizing Superpower, friends!
On that note, pictures of Glasgow on FB. I've become too exasperated with this slow connection to post twice. Blah.
And I guess that's the impression I get overall of Ireland. There's some insane fascination with America and its culture, which basically sprouted from the British heritage and culture. Yet Ireland has an obstinate cling to its Celtic roots, which, in all truth, has become "backward" in this rapidly westernizing planet.
So, which is it, Ireland?
I'll make my own bold statement. As much as I love the Western culture, I acknowledge the tragic inevitably of lost diversity. We see that in the growing rate at which foreign countries are providing English lessons. The only resistant language, I think, is Chinese because of China's position in the world. But even the Chinese are learning English, and they recognized the necessity of remaining on friendly terms with the ol' Western powers.
But what do I know of politics, history, and international relations? I cannot provide any real statistics or pinpoint exact, accurate moments in history - my memory and knowledge is too limited. I simply offer my opinion on what I see in everything I'm learning in academia and everyday society.
And now, I want to completely refute what I just wrote.
Because the Internet is the next monopolizing Superpower, friends!
On that note, pictures of Glasgow on FB. I've become too exasperated with this slow connection to post twice. Blah.
And since I desperately need to prioritize, this is for myself:
Order in which to do the following tasks of utmost and obnoxious importance:
1) Portfolio
a. Introduction
b. Catch up on journals
c. Analysis and Conclusion
d. Summary
2) Irish Lit. paper/presentation
3) Personal Project
That's it for now. After I finish all of this up, I can move on with the rest of my life.
Countdown for finals days of undergraduate life commences tomorrow.