Monday, February 16, 2009

'They're fighting again.' 'I thought we just made a truce'

AAHHH HAHAHAHA.

Sorry, that line from "The Simpsons" episode that was on earlier just was too good. Does that not sound like the history of British-Irish relations? Or, maybe even just Irish history in general.

Anyway, that kind of relates to today because we had our last History of Ireland lecture today! I was so ready for it, and my lecturer could probably guess judging my face every day I'm in that class. The smarter thing for me to do would have been just not to sit in the front, but I do need to be that close to pay the slightest bit of attention. You know me and my attention span.

We had a quiz in history today, and we have a quiz for sociology tomorrow. Do I care? Not so much. There is not much stimulation to really keep you going here. No worries. I still will do my bit of studying and reading over this nonsense.

I had a lot of thoughts today, and I am a bit upset that I do not remember them. They were all just little thoughts I've had since I arrived in Ireland but always forgot to write down, and lookie here, I forgot again! Only this time I remember that there is something I forgot!

But! I got a little coffeemaker for the flat today! The coffee drinkers in this apartment were all very excited by the purchase. It will definitely be cheaper in the long run because coffee is at least 1.50. And this will definitely be needed when we begin our internships. Now I just need to hunt down that travel mug...

I also exploded into the kitchen today making fried rice for the communal dinner ritual. It was a bit on the salty side, but it got some praises, so I'm happy. I was definitely satisfied with the broccoli. You bet I can make some delicious broccoli!

It's weird, being here. I go in and out of moods all over the place. I know I'm pretty chipper here, but the environment is not always the best for me. Even so, I am making changes in my life so that I can not only enjoy my time here, but I can also mature and grow as a person during the next few months. They say that studying abroad really changes you, and I definitely believe it. But I am believing more and more that even though everyone changes - whether they change themselves or their perspectives - each person's story is unique.

In my own case? I might have mentioned it before - where most people would learn independence being away from a familiar place, friends and family, I'm learning what it feels like to have to depend on other people's company. I'll be honest, it is quite difficult. I thought I had the most minimal expectations when it came to who I would meet and whom I would befriend, but whoa. This has been a very overwhelming experience in this little arena.

Then I remember to count my blessings, and every day I do discover something really trivial that does keep me going. If that fails, then I just look forward to the next weekend/trip.

All in all, not bad.

But I know that this journey has not finished quite yet!