Monday, October 26, 2009

On 'Sense and Sensibility'


Listening to audio books has been such a blessing and lifesaver during this job. I'm glad I can have something to stimulate my brain and challenge it as I do some brain mush project for two weeks. 


Jane Austen's 'Sense and Sensibility' was the first one I tried. I thought it was about time that I picked it up, having stayed away from Austen books after the horrible experience of 'Northanger Abbey,' which drove me insane with its fluffy and chipper obnoxious-ness. Although I loved 'Pride and Prejudice,' NA really did scar me that much. 


Anyway, so S&S proved to be not as much of a nightmare as NA, and I became very engrossed in the story, which helped the days go by quickly. There were some very hilarious scenes, particularly the one between Mrs. Jennings and Eleanor, who were talking of entirely different things and only making note to themselves how strange the other's remarks were. Add to that the fact that I was listening to it whilst battling fatigue during the drive home from work, bumper-to-bumper all the way.


My thoughts? Well, it's pretty good, overall, but I could never call it one of my favorites. The same fluffy Jane Austen style comes in, but I suppose it's a relief to finally pick up a story with a happy ending. I probably need that in a suffocating storage room as I seek a decent job in a dreary and bleak economy. Yes, a happy ending is a good thing.


I'm reluctant to admit that there's something to be learned from the two elder Dashwood sisters. Often I sided with Maryanne in her frustration at Eleanor's seemingly cold-hearted and controlled disposition. Eleanor lacked the life and the passion that Maryanne had to vigorously chase what/whom she wanted, and that made Eleanor seem like a languid bore, in my opinion. Eventually Maryanne calms herself down and learns from Eleanor's composure, so I lost my ally.


But I have to admit, I can see why there is a need for that kind of self-control, and I am far from having it. I have a stubborn streak that keeps me from swallowing my frustrations and just living on with content resignation. I need passion! I need things that stir me up and excite me! I need life!


Sigh...sadly, I know how immature that all sounds, and I have to commend Eleanor for maintaining her disposition throughout her troubles and the events of the story. I wish I could be mature.


I still think P&P surpasses S&S in characters, plot and satirical wit, but I am glad that I got a chance to listen to this. Maybe I'll pick it up in the future, but that will only happen if I'm bored out of my mind and have gone through my entire list, which sounds quite impossible.


Now I am listening to F. Scott Fitzgerald's 'This Side of Paradise,' which I should finish tomorrow. Up next will be Dickens's 'A Christmas Carol.'