Monday, July 20, 2009

Ohhh, spite these cover letters!

I realized how horribly unaesthetic that title looks in writing, but I think it'll suit this period of my life.

I've been working on this cover letter for a long time, mainly because I've had to rewrite it more times than I would have preferred. However, must survive in this dog-eat-dog world, so I am determined to finish it tonight.

I am awful at these things. What is unique about me? What distinguishes me from the next applicant, who might have a better GPA, more work experience, more social connections, a wider breadth of interests, more knowledge in books?

I know I can't write, "I was 100% convinced once upon a time that I would marry Jason Mraz because his voice kept coming into my head whenever I thought of marriage. No seriously, I was." And I couldn't very well write, "I am a small Asian girl who loves whiskey and strong black coffee without cream or sugar." I'm pretty sure "My toes are all the same size" would raise an eyebrow or two, just as "I can outbelch and outfart any guy in this room due to this acid reflux problem, you see" might be a bit disconcerting, if not disgusting.

So what else? That I had to move so many times during my childhood? That I can't whistle? that I don't remember getting one of my root canals?

My mom says that I have to show that I have passion. Oh, I definitely have passion, but so does everyone else. I will definitely include my passion with as much uppity up talk as I can muster in my hopefully-wrinkly brain. But one can only hope that translates just as enthusiastically in my words.

Hm. Unless! They really do appreciate negative and jaded talk - you know, honesty? Must one go beyond just observing the silver lining and actually experience it in life?

I wonder if it is possible for me to get these kinds of jobs that ask for more experience than I have. I always tell myself that I have nothing to lose when I begin these letters. Now I realize that yes, I don't have anything to lose, but I DO have all the discouragement to gain should I be rejected again and again.

See, told you that I can spurt out negative talk. I'm really good at it, you know.

This is silly of me, though. I can see that. I suppose I'd better turn away and concentrate all my writing power into this cover letter. Toodles.