Dia dhuit.
That is the typical Gaelic greeting, otherwise translated as “The Lord be with you.”
We’re beginning to get into a sort of agenda, granted that these orientation meetings seem to be lasting forever. I mean, I could keep doing my own thing because I do have much to take care of, but a schedule is definitely welcome.
Classes started today, the first one being The History of Modern Ireland, taught by Caroline Connolly. The class is a whopping 2.5 hours, though I guess I can’t complain with all the three-hour classes I had last semester. Still, you’d think that they would have shortened it just for the first day because we had just come from hours of lectures about the DCU Campus, culture shock, etc etc. [One important lesson of the day: We are here, not there; we are in Ireland, not America.]
I only complain because I was sleepy, not because I do not like the class. I really like it, actually. It’s fascinating to see how perspective/identity/nationality changes the nature of the lesson.
Being taught modern Britain history definitely allowed me to see the holes in today’s lessons, which was an overview of how Ireland got to be how it is today after the Norsemen invaded the little island. Caroline is an Irish Catholic, and her lecture bled with Irish nationalism today, in my opinion anyway. There was more of a focus on how the British oppressed the Irish identity more than on the fact that Ireland really needed Britain to survive economically. And I was far too afraid she’d hate me with Irish pride if I asked anything stemming from that notion.
Still, now I can remember again how much I love history. It’s really the same old story: the rise, the fall, the oppressor, the victim, the politics. Humanity is a slave to its own power struggle. Even the events in Gaza are all part of the power struggle that is the human race, pun kinda intended.
It’s just so fascinating, though it doesn’t seem as though the material will get too challenging, the differences from an Irish perspective and a British perspective. Poor little island that happens to be right next to the big nations striving towards the top. In my opinion, Ireland was a bit screwed either way, not to be so negative.
Anyway, enough of that. After that, I just hung out in the room reading up on the news, Hocus Pocus, talking to Alan, practicing a bit of guitar, etc etc. Talked to some others a bit. Only a wee bit.
I’m still eating crap, though. Maybe I’ll go for a run tomorrow to make me feel better, but not too much, as I have definitely not been eating enough to keep my body going. Tomorrow, though, I promise to go to Tesco and buy some proper, more nutritious food. And I plan to set up a bank account, yay!
Well, before I’m off for the day, I forgot to mention something. Whatever my skepticism, I have this profound new urge to see all the historical sites of Ireland, the beautiful countryside and coast, even the small little towns where everyone knows each other.
Now, this poses a problem, then, with my desire to see Europe. Oh, what to do, what to do? Maybe for now, I’ll see what this little island has to offer. After all, very looming obstacles are still there – the lack of funds and company.
Hmm. Well, perhaps that’s just the way this is supposed to be.
As I said before, scrap the expectations and assumptions. You’ll learn so much more that way.