I searched for some around here, and saw only one that I could make: a musical presentation of "Red Ribbon," put on by Hollywood Remembers. So along with my cousin, Katie, I attended the event to see what it was all about.
"Red Ribbon" wasn't really spectacular; the vocals were sometimes off-pitch, there was little dialog that spread much awareness of the disease (in my opinion) and the technicals were done poorly. However, the speakers compelled and informed with passion and inspiration. I admit that I don't know much about this issue at all - which is why I went - and have come out of the event more curious about the issues and research behind the disease.
I have gotten into the habit of making entries short, by the way, so as not to just babble and bore. Anyway, the night made me think of how I myself viewed the AIDs issue as a Christian. Yes, I have heard it labeled as a disease for the immoral who don't practice safe sex or just shoot up drugs for a life, but I don't think I've necessarily passed judgment. Still, I didn't show any real compassion or desire to learn more about the issue, either, and indifference is worse.
My beliefs have been teaching me that it really doesn't matter what the person has done; it matters how I can take action to help. The judgment I leave up to God at the end of days, but I have strict beliefs that He has called me to help the needy and the impoverished. I disdain the "God helps those who help themselves" mentality that people adopt when it comes to community service. Whether or not they realize it, it's something that poisons those we mentor or befriend. People begin believing that spiritual maturity lies within one's ability to uphold certain moral standards or daily practices. But no...no, no, no. Even if I can't share the Gospel with someone, I still can help them in their poverty or desperate state.
And that's what I'd like to do. I'd like to care unconditionally, love unconditionally, service unconditionally.
This is what my God has done for me, and I am determined to do the same for others.